Nut milk bags are used to make alternative dairy-free milk from ingredients such as nuts, shredded coconut or rolled oats. The Amy-Zing 3-in-1 Nut Milk Bags are now made of cotton and are made locally in Cape Town, South Africa. They have a thin rope drawstring at the top of the bag to help you make your desired plant-based milk with ease. Nut milk bags are perfect for people looking to include more plant-based foods. They are super easy to use and if the care instructions are followed, will last many years. The Amy-Zing 3-in-1 also makes a great gift idea for encouraging a loved one to start including dairy-free milk options into their daily diet.
To make nut milk:
- Pre-soak 1 cup of nuts overnight in the fridge (1.5 cups if you prefer thicker milk). Pre-soaking the nuts helps to activate the enzymes contained within the nuts which then helps the nuts to get digested easier.
- Then in the morning, or 8 hours later, rinse the almonds and then place them in a blender with 4 cups of clean purified water. Blend for 3 minutes on a high setting.
- In the meantime, turn your nut milk bag inside out (so that the seams are on the outside) as this makes for easier cleaning, and place it over a large jug or bowl – ready to ‘filter’ the contents of the blender, and catch the pulp. The drawstring rope should be on the outside but at the top.
- Slowly pour the contents of the blender into the nut milk bag, draw the string and gently squeeze the bag from top to bottom. Repeat this until no more liquid comes out and your nut milk bag has nut pulp left in it.
- Pour the milk into a glass container, and store in the fridge.
- Save the nut pulp if you are making cheese or cookies, or put it in your food composter.
- Rinse and follow the care instructions immediately after use.
- This recipe will make approximately 4 glasses of milk and will last covered in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To make fruit/veg juice:
- Use in the same way as above, but substituting the nuts for your fruit and/or a veggie combination. Vegetable juice can be enjoyed as a nutritious drink.
To use it for sprouting:
- First soak your seeds, beans, nuts, greens or grains (whatever you wish to use) for 8-12 hours by placing the seeds in the Amy-Zing 3-in-1 Nut Milk Bag and then in a jar or bowl but ensuring the seeds are totally covered in water.
- Then rinse the seeds and hang them over a bowl to dry. At this point, you do not need to put them in the sun.
- Then going forward twice daily, rinse the bag of seeds, or dip in freshwater (for approx. 20 seconds) twice a day.
- After 3-5 days your sprouts are ready! Woop! If you are sprouting greens, at around day 2-3 you should ideally move them to a location with a bit more light to help them become green.
- Turn your sprout bag inside out to get to the sprouts. Enjoy adding them to your meals!
- Store the fresh sprouts for up to 3 days in the fridge (any longer and mould will form, making them unsafe to eat).